Monday, April 16, 2012

An Orange & Black Surprise

While on an excursion to the ancient Mayan city of Tulum, located just off the turquoise waters of the Caribbean, I was thrilled when a pair of Hooded Orioles landed and started feeding in a blooming bush right beside me!  In fact, I was so delighted that I really had to focus on containing my excitement so I would not disturb the birds and could get some decent pictures.  This opportunity just does not frequently occur!


Anyway, although the male and female were both present, I was only able to get some good shots of the male.  He was brilliant orange with distinct black patches and whitish wing bars while she was primarily an olive-yellow tone with similar markings on her wings.  And, just to clarify, the photo of the male turned upside down (below) is just how he appeared feeding on the bright orange blossoms!  What a beautiful sight.


No comments:

Post a Comment