Monday, January 11, 2021

A Message



As described in my last post, our recent weather has generated a lot of beautiful landscapes flocked in rime ice.  And although the above photo doesn't contain a gorgeous view of the winter terrain, it contains the perfect message.   Ironically, day after day this past summer, I had quickly passed by this sign and really didn't even notice it posted upside down on a tree along a narrow drive leading to the river.  Of course, I didn't notice as I was in a hurry....for some reason, I'm sure.   It seems we are all in a hurry.  On this particular day for me...in a hurry to get in out of the cold, anxious for winter to end, for the sun to shine, for the vaccine to be distributed and the pandemic to end, to cross off every item on my to-do list, to reunite with loved ones, and on and on.  Anyway, it seems I needed winter to remind me to slow down and enjoy the walk or the ride or the time indoors or the quiet or the more relaxed pace of life in a pandemic .... a valuable reminder that I finally noticed.

Below are a couple up-close images of rime ice.  The leaves lined in white, although disproportionate in size, remind me of the cereal Frosted Flakes.


"What good is the warmth of summer, 

without the cold of winter to give it sweetness."

                                                                                     - John Steinbeck


No comments:

Post a Comment