Thursday, December 30, 2021

Grateful to Play

 

“Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.”

                                                           --Victor Hugo

So, this is my wrap for 2021.  It seems like the past 12 months have been full of rogue waves splashing on our doorsteps or perhaps flooding our entire beings with ups and downs, challenges and opportunities, unrest and exhaustion, abundance and loss and on and on....whew...

 Yep, that's been my experience as well.  The loss of my mother and father-in-law along with other family members and friends has kept me reaching for the tissue box long after their passing.  The vaccines and science that are now available as we navigate the ongoing pandemic have encouraged me to trust and have faith that goodness always trumps even the darkest days.  

The quiet times have allowed me to get reacquainted with things I have always loved -- those things that soothe my soul and calm my raging thoughts. So, after seeing the featured photos, you guessed it.  I stayed close to the river (on or in it) whenever possible.  Since I was a kiddo I have always wanted a jet ski, and that's what I got.  Cruising on the water with the throttle wide open is simply fun and allows for no time to worry about anything beyond what I'm doing at that very moment. 

And then there is the waterskiing -- jumping in the cool river always brings my attention to the moment as I grab the rope, position the skis and wait for the boat to pull me up on to the glassy-smooth surface.  

And jumping on the saddle of my road bike quickly takes me anywhere I want to go -- and that's simply back to the moment where I connect with my breath, enjoy the now and everything is fine.

Lastly, several years ago I stumbled across the Zentangle© art method.  Its simplicity and repetition instantly helped me access my talents as an artist.  And in 2021 I have been sharing this with many other emerging artists as we connect via Zoom and put pen to paper.  Both on and off the canvas, these opportunities have been amazing.  And, I would be remiss if I did not include the contributions of some very inspirational "teachers" and resources, including the work of Julia Cameron and her amazingly helpful book The Artist's Way.  

With gratitude and peace, I say farewell to 2021 and hello to 2022.




No comments:

Post a Comment