Thursday, October 7, 2021

Look Both Ways


As a youngster learning to cross the street, I was always reminded to look both ways --  left and right.  However, during this visit to the Olbrich Botanical Gardens in Madison, Wisconsin, I was reminded of the importance of looking up rather than only straight ahead or down.  Of course, there are metaphors for life that correspond to looking up and acknowledging the positive or the bright side.  But, before reading more, look at the image below.  Obviously, beautiful and often unexpected things are everywhere, including overhead -- we just have to notice.

Clearly this statue was one of my favorite attractions in the 16-acre garden, and I owe my discovery to the storm that rolled through as we were caught outdoors in a downpour and took shelter in an area alongside the sleeping giant.  And, as I found myself looking up at the sky in order to gauge the duration of the rain, I was also lucky enough to spot the big cat positioned just above me.  After the storm, I made my way to an elevated walkway where I could admire the lion and also observe those below who, like myself, missed the large stone figure perched so perfectly on the elevated stone wall.  

Although I was not thrilled with wet clothing, I was grateful to Mother Nature as she helped me find something beautiful that I would not have noticed without the rain...hmmm....more metaphors for life....


"Keep looking up...
That's the secret of life..."
                                                                             --Snoopy


 

No comments:

Post a Comment