Thursday, January 27, 2022

A BIG Surprise

 



In keeping with my love for the outdoors, gardens, summer's warmth and just about all blooming things, last year I visited the Olbrich Botanical Gardens in Madison, Wisconsin.  Of course, immediately upon entering I was smitten with the stunning landscapes, including many groupings of hardy perennials and ornamental grasses along with water features and a variety of installations promoting conservation.  And, as I kept meandering through the paths and under the trees, I was even more taken with all the naturally occurring patterns  (that mimic the tangle patterns that I often draw) and took several photos for future reference and inspiration.

Anyway, as the paths led to a waterway and the trees cleared to the opposite side, the vista seen in the first photo came into view.  Wow!  Well, wow is an understatement but you get the idea.  Since I did not know about this structure, I was stunned and lingered to take in the incredible view.  Unknowingly, I had stumbled upon a Thai pavilion and garden.  

Essentially, as I later learned, the structure was a gift to the University of Wisconsin-Madison from the Thai Government and the Thai Chapter of the Wisconsin Alumni Association.  Interestingly, the UW - Madison has one of the largest Thai student populations of any colleges/universities in the USA.  More interesting facts are on the Olbrich website.

Ahhhhh....still enjoying this something beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment