Monday, August 5, 2019

In a Garden -- Memories


In a recent stroll through the Dubuque Arboretum, I came across this adorable statue positioned in the middle of the Mother Goose themed flower bed.  Immediately I thought how clever it was and started to recall, "Humpty Dumpty...," "Hickory, dickory, dock..." and more.

Yes, that part is easily relatable; however, you may be wondering about the image below that features the annual known as vinca.  When I got to this area of the arboretum, my thoughts instantly turned to one of the first gardeners I'd known.  She was my beloved next-door-neighbor who each summer had pretty flowers in various places in her yard along with some pots of geraniums, dusty miller, marigolds, the vinca seen below and so on.  I remember watching her tend to her vegetable and flower gardens with ease and great care.  To a youngster like me, she seemed to make every living thing beautiful and loved doing so.  She also loved having me visit her as often as I'd like. Her name was Helen. 

Some things remain with us forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment