Monday, August 15, 2022

Pieces of the Past

 


Recently my mother passed, and, while considering mementos to display in her honor at the visitation, I suggested we include an article of clothing that she made.  These images show a gown that she sewed for me (when I was 7) and another for my sister (when she was 3.)  For this occasion way back when she also made a long dress for herself, and the three of us donned our matching dresses and proudly attended a family wedding.  Although I am not entirely sure of what my father wore to that event, I have reason to believe it was a tan or navy leisure suit.    

When I was a youngster sewing one's own clothes was much more common than now.  Honestly I recall numerous items that my mother made for herself, for others, and for me and my siblings, including many matching and/or coordinating ensembles.  

Anyway, in her passing, it was fitting to showcase her talent as a seamstress, and for me to notice just how tall I've become since I was seven years old.  

Ahhhhh.....something beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment