Monday, January 28, 2013

Recipe Stirs Memories


Recently I was looking through some old photos and this particular image caught my attention...for several reasons.  First, when it is cold outside, I like to bake these pumpkin bars complete with a tasty cream cheese frosting.  Second, immediately I thought of my maternal grandmother as she introduced me to the recipe.  As she aged and arthritis robbed her of the strength in her hands needed to bake and lift hot items from the oven, she loved the times I would spend in her kitchen making these bars for her.  Of course, she and I would sample the goods and then put most in her freezer so that she would have them to serve to guests.  Finally, the other thing I noticed about this photo is the dollop of batter that somehow got dropped and dried on this old cookbook.  It serves as reminder that on this page is a family favorite with a special connection to a very special woman.



No comments:

Post a Comment