Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Churning at Dusk

"Twilight fell:  The sky turned to a light, dusky purple
 littered with tiny silver stars."
                                          --J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
 

For me, this image conveys a sense of quiet and serenity as the sun has set and the sliver of moon and a few stars appear above the horizon.  To the right, windmill blades continue turning and the silhouette of these prominent structures resemble wings of hummingbirds constantly in motion.

Now, for the real story about trying to capture this image.  First, timing and adjustments to the camera settings are everything!  Ok, sounds manageable; however, the best view I could get was a few hundred yards from a farmstead on the shoulder of busy, hard-surface road with cars whizzing by and dogs barking loudly and jumping in my direction at the end of their leashes.  All the noise must have attracted the attention of the homeowner as shortly after getting the tripod set up and camera in focus, a man appeared to ask if I was having trouble with my vehicle....Well, anyway, just thought I would provide a little background about taking this beautiful shot of twilight and calm settling over rural Iowa.  Once finished and back in the truck is when I felt calm!

No comments:

Post a Comment