Monday, June 22, 2020

His & Hers


June in Iowa usually means anything imaginable is growing, including the main row crops of corn and soy beans along all sorts of blooming plants, weeds, wildflowers, vines and great stuff to eat.  Notice the berries above and herbs below.  As the title of this post implies, my husband loves strawberries and I love herbs, including chives and basil -- I want to eat them with every meal.

Anyway, as you might imagine, in order to have the herbs, I acquired the plants and tended to them...although with chives, I have to strictly monitor their spread as they are extremely invasive.  However with the strawberries it was simply Mother Nature's magic as our plants are the result of composting.  Yep, in years past after removing the stems from berries, we buried them in this planter box on the patio...and voila...a miniature patch of berries.  My husband is delighted -- with the food -- and I'm thrilled NOT to have to buy the plants, pull the weeds and maintain a patch of berries that will mostly provide yummy treats for wildlife in the area.  This patio garden is an all-around winner. 


No comments:

Post a Comment