Monday, January 20, 2014

Yesteryear in Garber

Nestled among bluffs and divided by the Turkey River, Elk Port and Garber are two tiny "twin towns" in Eastern Iowa.  During the fall this area is full of brightly-colored foliage and lots of "leaf lookers" taking in the gorgeous scenery.  And, honestly, usually I just pass right through the two communities en route to Guttenberg, a Mississippi River town. 


But, this particular day, I happened to notice some glistening pampas grass a couple blocks from the highway and decided to check it out.  As I headed toward the river, I noticed some really neat relics that remain in that locale, including a former Catholic church turned private residence (can be seen in a post in October 2013,) a full-size "Standard" oil sign from what was once a corner filling station as well as this former "Texaco" gas station. 

 
Unlike today's world of 24/7 mega-convenience stores and self-service gas pumps, when I was a child most small towns had a couple "gas stations" (that was our term for them) in which a customer pulled in, an attendant came to the car window, asked how many gallons the driver wanted, filled the order, usually cleaned the car's windshield, visited with the patron and collected the payment -- either cash or a personal check.

So, when I stumbled upon this scene from times past, I found it sparked several memories and I thought many of you would find it interesting as well.  Would love to hear any of your recollections of the 'gas station' you used to know -- just leave a comment!

1 comment:

  1. I remember ordering a dollars worth of gas from the attendant and it would last all afternoon/evening cruising the strip in Manchester1

    ReplyDelete