Monday, September 16, 2019

Art Mimics Life


This image features a portion of a Dale Chihuly glass sculpture found in the Milwaukee Art Museum.  In person his pieces are instantly captivating, grand in scope and incredibly beautiful.  His remarkable works certainly prove why he is such a prominent blown-glass artist.  

Anyway, relating to my previous two posts highlighting the unique architectural features of the Milwaukee Art Museum, I also wanted to share a photo of this dynamic installation; however, as I prepped the image nothing great seemed to appear.  Then, as I considered how intricate, involved and bold it was, the up-close shot almost seemed too overwhelming.  So, my idea was to edit it by adding jigsaw puzzle pieces and blurring some sections.  Almost immediately this became like a metaphor for our crazy and often chaotic lives with so many things taking all our time and energy.  After simplifying the scene with small portions and not even bringing some areas in to focus, I found it very pleasant and inviting.  I wanted to explore the photo instead of turn away from its bold presentation.  So, the lesson is simplify, limit the focus and don't try to do too much.  Loosen the grip and be open to that familiar refrain, "Less is more."

No comments:

Post a Comment