Thursday, September 12, 2019

MAM -- Interior


In my previous post, I featured images of the magnificent exterior of the Quadracci Pavilion at the Milwaukee Art Museum with its signature wings that form a movable sunscreen with a 217-foot wingspan and include 72 steel fins.  Sensors on the fins continuously monitor wind speed and automatically close them when winds exceed 23 mph for more than three seconds.


When visitors enter the structure, they are treated to the views seen in these three images.  Windover Hall is the grand reception hall in the pavilion and contains flying buttresses, pointed arches, ribbed vaults and the central nave with a 90-foot-high glass roof.  

Wow.  This structure is incredible and standing inside the grand reception hall was a feast for my artistic eyes.  I snapped photo after photo as I was in awe of the delightful architectural features surrounding me and how they all interacted with the light and lake outdoors. 

 Many more significant details are on the museum's website, and I encourage architectural aficionados to read more online.


The image above is of the grand hall's chancel that was designed like the prow of a ship with floor-to-ceiling windows looking out to Lake Michigan.  Indeed, this is a dynamic view and an incredible creation by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava.

No comments:

Post a Comment