Thursday, December 31, 2020

Rear View

 


With just a few hours left in 2020, most of us aren't terribly sad to see it go.  And about the photo, I can explain.  In the last little while I'd been contemplating what to post for the finale of this year that included a pandemic, social unrest, political divisiveness and a contentious election cycle, extreme weather events, food insecurity and more.  Whew.  Given all of that, nothing came to mind.  

Nothing at least until I was trying to figure out how to use a new tablet whose features differ greatly from the older version.  In my clumsiness and misuse of buttons, mistakenly I captured this photo which is nothing more than a screenshot of the device's photo library.  At that was it.  I knew in an instant this image spoke to me about the past several months.

First, much of it seems like a blur, especially since mid-March when the shut down created a new reality that none of us imagined.  And while so much seems the same and incomprehensible, each day was very similar yet very different from the others.  Although initially my thoughts tried to resist the facts and would easily succumb to all the scary,  what-if scenarios, eventually I began to coexist with this new version of normal.  Just as in the photo, there were darker days as well as a lot of new and enjoyable opportunities.  Essentially for me, this unexpected and bizarre photo seems to be the perfect reflection on a year none of us will soon forget.

Day 7 of social distancing: Struck up a conversation with a spider today. 

Seems nice. He’s a web designer.”    

                                                                                                                    —Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment