Monday, December 7, 2020

Surprises in the Woods


A few days ago I opted for a walk along the same river but in a different place.  The wind was brisk and temperature typical of late November so I decided to check out Pin Oak, a Delaware County park located in eastern Iowa.  Since I hadn't been to this park since childhood, I noticed it no longer has restrooms, a shelter with picnic tables and a play area, but the beautiful forest bordering the river remains.  

In the above photo, it's easy to see the well-maintained path while the middle image shows an adorable, hand-painted birdhouse that was placed along the route.  And although I hadn't expected to find the former nor the latter, each was a perfect surprise and seemed like a welcome-back gift from Mother Nature, park workers and some other person who loves art and the woods as I much as I do.  Ahhhh....


"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees."         
                                                                                                                                   --Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment