Thursday, February 4, 2021

Winter on the Water


During February in Iowa things on the river look a lot different than during warmer-weather months.  And, of course, my preference is for 80-something degree days, sunshine and blue skies.  However, regardless of the temperature and outdoor conditions, just being on or in or near the water is a gift.  So, I dress for the elements and make my way...with camera in my pocket so I can photograph all the cold-weather enthusiasts who traverse the river on a snowmobile or spend time ice fishing. 

Clearly, those activities are obvious in these two photos but did you also notice the deer?  It's in the first photo walking in the snow between the two retaining walls.  See it?  Being out in the winter woods allows me to see so much wildlife, including songbirds, bald eagles and other raptors, rabbits, squirrels, deer and all sorts of animal tracks.  Plus, during the cold weather in a pandemic, when my human interactions are more limited, I look forward to seeing all the forest friends, including my two favorite squirrels whom I've named Oreo and Cream Puff. 

"Go to the winter woods:  listen there, look, watch, and 'the dead months' will give you a subtler secret than any you have yet found in the forest."
                                                                                              --William Sharp



No comments:

Post a Comment