Friday, April 6, 2012

Lenten Promises

Today is an appropriate time for reflection as Lent draws to a close and all things around us spring to new life.  Ever since I can remember, part of the preparation for Easter was to "give up" something during Lent, including the usual treats like soda pop, candy and ice cream.  However, this year was different as five months ago I stopped eating candy after my last dental check up revealed some pretty big problems.  So, what would I give up this time around?

After some careful consideration about what I really enjoy but definitely could live without, I decided to halt my purchases of clothes, shoes and other non-essential accessories.  In addition, I also committed to keeping a daily journal in which I described everything for which I am grateful. 

Now that these forty days have nearly passed I can honestly report that some days I did not feel overly grateful but when I focused on gratitude many of my negative thoughts seemed to slip away and I felt refreshed.  Plus, another benefit was "shopping" my own closet for all the beautiful pieces of clothing that I already have...and actually wearing what I have instead of looking for something new.  

 Essentially, that which I chose to "give up" was a gift as I gained some perspective and a lot of contentment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment